Rural Site: Mount Graham Community Hospital
Location: Safford, Arizona
Type of site: Rural mining town
Distance from Tucson: 127 miles (2 hours) in southwest AZ
Housing: Provided in a one-bedroom private apartment
- Busy bread and butter EM
- A lot of Procedures (central lines, intubations, lac repairs)
- A lot of pediatric patients and OB
- Critical care
- Close to Mount Graham, natural hot springs and a lot of hiking and fishing.
Rural Site: Fort Defiance
Location: Fort Defiance, Arizona
Type of Site: Indian Health Services (Navajo Tribe)
Distance from Tucson: 336 miles (6 hours) near NM border
Housing: Provided in an onsite trailer that can be shared with medical students and other residents.
- Busy Emergency Room
- A lot of traumas and critical care
- High volume pediatrics
- Many procedures including central lines, intubations, and running codes.
- Near Window Rock Tribal Park, Navajo Zoologic Park, Monument Valley and many other hiking areas.